Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Revamping our house, one room at a time

For years now, aside from our stint in the condo we purchased, we have always rented the places we've lived in. It royally sucks because we've forever had the attitude that we really shouldn't bother dressing up our digs because we probably wouldn't be in that place long, and most of the time that thinking has been pretty accurate.

Lately, though, I've been so sick of just having a house, not a home, that lacks a personal flair or style. Adrian has too. Since we've succumbed to the fact that the likelihood of us getting out of this soon-to-be hell hole (summer is looming and it's making me anxious) is unlikely and this house is most likely going to be ours for a while, we've decided it's time to make an effort at sprucing things up.

So, some of the things we've done lately have been so fun! As I posted before, we painted and added some stuff to Gabriel's room recently. My sister painted her room and bought new furniture. I'm on the lookout for an entryway table and new dresser for my room. We have only had one dresser since we've been married and seriously, we have piles of clothes sitting on the floor next to it because they don't fit. It is so annoying!


Some of my entryway inspirations:

entryway organization system
via

For the front entryway.
via

Entryway - love the change holder since instead, we have strewn around the house
via
 Adrian is currently in the process of building me this because he's a gangster like that:

via
It will hold the TV and all of the crap that comes along with that so I can reclaim my beautiful wine cabinet that has been serving as a stand. This piece probably won't be stained so dark, but we'll see. I went through a phase of loving all dark cherry wood, so that's kind of what my entire house looks like. It's super dark and now I can't stand any of it!

Adrian just finished building me a new headboard for our room and it looks ahhhmazing. Seriously, I couldn't be happier with it. We haven't put it behind the bed yet, but here's a sneak peak...




It looks pretty dark there, but it hadn't dried yet, I had funky lighting and couldn't get the entire thing in the picture out in the garage. It's now in our room, just needs to be attached to the wall. Here's where he got his inspiration for it. Before it gets placed on the wall, I think I'l be painting in there because right now the poopstain brown just doesn't do it for me. I'm thinking a natural looking green color will do the trick.

I also want to buy this from Target:

Pintuck duvet
via
With something similar to this above my headboard:

A tight grid of plant prints echoed by mini vases of flowers makes a unique display above this white reeded mantel.
via
I love how tightly they are placed together and the botanical inspiration. I just basically want my room to be peaceful and bright, somewhere we actually want to spend time, instead of just dumping ourselves into bed to sleep. 

We have room to even add a little seating area, maybe a couch and small table if we wanted to so I'm trying to find ways to incorporate all of that into the formatting of the room.

I've already thrifted and painted some lamps and such a small touch has already done WONDERS for the room. I'll keep you posted on the progress!

So now that I've photo- and idea-dumped all over you, tell me...

Do you have any DIY projects going on?

6 comments:

  1. It's kind of ridiculous how similar we are. I bought the same duvet cover from Target, and we just revamped our entry way! It was inspired by similar pictures, and I love it! You go girl, it feels great to set up roots and be proud of your home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did we just become best friends? YUP! Obsession with pintuck duvets, revamping entryways and all things birth-related, I'd say so ;)

      Delete
  2. I love that comforter, I want the same one. I love the tv stand thats being built, its so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so excited for it to be finished! Too bad he's moving at a snails pace, haha. He has most of the wood and has done a couple of things, but not really much more than that.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Isn't it a beaut??! I've been eyeing it for a while now, along with the Shabby Chic brand that Targ carries. I'm into all of the ruffles right now.

      Delete

I love comments from my friends! If you're a spammer, kindly leave :)