Wednesday, March 28, 2012

My favorite day of the week

I love that my sister lives with me. It's kind of like having your best friend around all the time, except I don't feel guilty when I have to yell at her for leaving her crap all over the place. It's awesome.

One of my favorite things that we do together, pretty much the highlight of my week, is our every-Wednesday trip to the swap meet. We started this tradition about five weeks ago and haven't missed a date since. 

It starts like this - she goes to class while I get the boys ready. When she gets back at 9:30, we jump in the car and head to the 7-11/Subway where we get our fat girl on and buy diet cokes, Subway cookies, some juice or Gatorade for Gabriel and a couple bottles of water. Then it's off to Calexico, we go. 

We take two strollers, one for Gabriel and one for Jonas, which double as storage if need be. 

Some of our finds have included:
  • a dresser and desk for T's room
  • two lamps that I painted yellow and now live on our nightstands
  • a picture frame that will be turned into jewelry storage
  • a large mirror for the entryway
  • some blocks and a huge play car garage for Gabriel
  • a door to be sanded and repurposed as a wall hanger with pictures on it

Here's my door:


I know it doesn't look like much, but once it's refinished I'm going to put an 8x10 photo in each of the spaces and hang it on the wall. It's going to be awesome.

And here's my new mirror:


I think I'm going to paint it since it doesn't work well with the dark colored wine cabinet below it. Martha Stewart has some paints that I've been dying to use so I'm considering something like these:

via
via


I haven't decided yet...any suggestions?

The swap meet has really become something I look forward to every week. It's nice to connect with my sister, since she works either PM or night shifts, meaning many times she has to nap during the day. It's also a great opportunity to get out of the house, Gabriel can run around and chase pigeons (his favorite thing about the swap meet), and I get some exercise as well.

Do you have any weekly traditions that you can't stand to miss?

2 comments:

  1. Have you ever used the old rustic-y, distressed method for painting anything? I really want to try it. I like this for my ugly old dresser http://www.beforemeetsafterblog.com/2011/06/beast-to-beauty.html I know there is some other kind of paint you can get that looks all crackly and awesome too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No I haven't, but I'm dying to try...I was thinking about sanding this mirror down and doing something like that to it. Let me know if you try it!!

      Delete

I love comments from my friends! If you're a spammer, kindly leave :)