Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Brothers


This is how it started, that picture on the right. The day Gabriel met his brother. As I was resting up after Jonas' birth, waiting for Gabriel to come in and meet him for the first time, I was filled with apprehension. I'm sure every mom-to-a-second-baby feels this way...wonders how her firstborn will adjust to life with someone nipping at their heels. Having to share their parents' love with another.

Gabriel's first reaction, I think, was fear - why was Mommy in bed and what is this weird place we've been at since 5am? And I know he was overwhelmed, I could feel his nerves from my hospital bed. He wasn't ready to hold him, but offered him a Cheezit, sweet boy. He eventually warmed up to him, though he was still unsure.

The next day, when we brought our little snuggly newborn home, I was anxious to see how Gabriel would react to this - the rocking of his whole world. I don't know what I expected, except that I know my boy and that he is a Mama's boy to the core. He likes my whole entire attention always and God-forbid anyone get in the way.

When we arrived home that evening, I realized that I am blessed beyond reason to have my boys. Brothers. I don't know why I doubted Gabriel and his ability to adapt.



His ability to grow his love for our family big enough to include his little towheaded brother, just like Adrian and I had.


When Jonas first came home, he would not sleep in a crib whatsoever. He would fuss and fuss until I snuggled him up in our warm bed to sleep for the night. Every morning, Gabriel would run into our room and ask, "Is my brother still here?"


I didn't expect this bond to occur so soon and am humbled by Gabriel's immediate love for Jonas. It literally makes me tear up just to write about, to recall it in pictures. 


I am in awe everyday of their fierce love for each other and looking back, can't imagine why I doubted Gabriel at all.
The way that Jonas laughs at his brother when he makes funny faces.

When Gabriel tells me, "Mom, I'm going to go play with my brother now." 

How Gabriel cares for him already, his concern for him when he is crying or fussing.

How Jonas' eyes follow Gabriel around the room, watching his big brother.

How Gabriel greets him smiling after a morning away at school.


I was worried that Gabriel would be jealous or maybe hurt. I didn't want him to feel like we loved him any less now that I had a baby to take care of while trying to fulfill Gabriel's need for attention.


But nope, Gabriel has never once lashed out at his brother in anger. He hasn't shown any frustration or acting out towards any of us. He is a 3-year old, still a baby too, really, and has his good days and bad days, but he still shows Jonas nothing but affection.


To see them at the age where they can interact now, that's what is making me so emotional and excited and proud. Enjoying each other's company, taking baths together, making noises and speaking to each other, playing and smiling.

I can't help imagining all of the beautiful things to come...

1 comments:

I love comments from my friends! If you're a spammer, kindly leave :)