Monday, April 16, 2012

This one time we went to Salvation Mountain


Adrian won a job out in Niland when we first moved out here. After driving out there a few times, somebody took him to the Slabs. It's a place out in the middle of the desert where people go to get off the grid, maybe run from the law, lead a simpler life or simply because they've been forced into it due to poverty.

There is no electricity and they live off of solar or none at all. A truck comes out weekly to sell fresh water to the squatters who have made the area their home. It gets its name from the old concrete slabs that are leftover from a World War II marine barracks.

One of the most unique things about this area is "Salvation Mountain," an art installation that covers a partially man-made, partially natural hill at the entrance to Slab City.




Believe it or not, this little "oasis" out in the desert has been highlighted in several movies, most notably is one of my favorite movies, Into the Wild. Not only is the movie totally inspiring, but it also has the best soundtrack ever!



If you haven't seen it, I absolutely, 100% recommend watching it right this second. I wish I would have been Alexander Supertramp in another life, minus the whole depressing ending, but I won't spoil it for you. Go. See it now. But watch this clip first...


I love the love story he talks about. I love the quotes and scripture that spread across the mountain. I just love it.

This is where the creator, Leonard, lived while he built the mountain.
We've been out there to look around and the most recent time we went, we spoke to one of the Board members who told us about a small art exhibit in the little "city," so of course we had to check it out!

We brought Jimmy along this time. 

It is made of found art so there were displays made of old wine bottles, shards of glass, plastic ducks, even some small action and other figurines! It was interesting to see how most of the things we would have considered to be trash were used to create rather beautiful displays.







We had such a great time checking everything out!


What do you think? Pretty cool, right?

3 comments:

  1. I'm going to watch that movie. you convinced me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look great in that last picture!! You look like youve lost some serious poundage!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Um, you just made my day. Or maybe my week :) I'm 3 pounds away from my pre-Jonas/Gabriel weight!

      Delete

I love comments from my friends! If you're a spammer, kindly leave :)