Wednesday, April 4, 2012

A new gig

I'm pretty excited, guys.

When I left my job last year, I said goodbye to some pretty awesome peeps and some even awesome-er projects. What I really enjoyed, though, was feeling useful, learning new skills and feeling like I had my own identity other mom or wife. Being those things are great and all, but to feel like myself, I know that I need more.

Several months ago, I approached one of my managers from work and asked if I could use her as a reference for a job I was thinking about bidding for the IID (which I'm majorly kicking myself for not doing because it was worth $250,000 and would have been split between myself and my sister, ouch). She of course said yes to the reference and also mentioned that she might have some work for me in the future. I knew she had been thinking about starting a consulting firm with another woman I know, but thought maybe she was just mentioned it to be nice, since she'd mentioned it to me when I was leaving my job.

To my surprise, about two weeks ago she approached me again to see if I would be interested in working for them on a regular basis. The compensation would be per project, but I'd be doing some design work, coordination and whatever else came my way. Obviously I jumped at the opportunity, it's just what I've been needing!

It feels so good to be working again, especially with these two women. They are both free-thinking and open-minded, very encouraging and willing to let me take creative liberties in all that I do. They are familiar with my work style and know that I am both responsible and dependable.

Even if it just brings in an extra hundred or so bucks a month, it's completely worth it because even though I'm now busier, it is one more thing that helps to keep me sane. It does get a little tricky, though, when I have to do something for work and the kids won't take a nap.

I already joked with Adrian that I need a nanny. HAH!

The best part about it? 
I can work in these:

via
Too bad I don't actually look like that!

1 comments:

I love comments from my friends! If you're a spammer, kindly leave :)