Thursday, July 5, 2012

Our first Fourth as a foursome

I'm coming down from my vacation-induced high and it is such a bummer. I haven't even started unpacking the trailer yet because it means that it's really over and we have to go back to packing lunches in the morning and shuffling to and fro, work and school and groceries and...blah.

It was a crisp 69-75 degrees at Silverstrand this week. When I got home? 97. It felt much hotter in contrast to the cool weather from vacation. Most of the days were overcast and several of the days we spent huddled in blankets, cozied up in sweaters around a fire. I was barefoot pretty much constantly during the week and had beachy, wavy, tangly, awesome, covered-up-in-a-hat-because-I'm-at-the-beach-and-don't-give-an-S hair all week.

Go figure, though, Jonas started teething the day we left. The first several days of our vacation, his fussiness was reminiscent of his first three months of life, but by the end of the trip we fell into a steady, relaxed rhythm. It was frustrating at times but we made the best of it. [I know we're going to wake up tomorrow or something and there the tooth will be, because that's just how it works.]

The 4th was by-far the best day, which means it was awesome because we had some good days. Between my large family, in-laws and extended family, we probably had about 40 people or more. In the morning, we sipped on mimosas and cucumber spa waters, played cards, listened to Toby Keith and relaxed. By the afternoon, all of us had gathered on the beach to play beach volleyball until dinnertime [much needed exercise after a week of eating and drinking!]. We reconvened on the beach to watch fireworks, roast marshmellows, play silly games and listen to scary ghost stories. 

This week of vacation quickly nudged its way into my top five favorites ever. It was great to spend time with family and an amazing way to ring in our Fourth of July as a family of four.

And now I'm about to photo bomb you. Sor.


Brothers





  








The spread.
My pinspired "dessert" was a patriotic hit.

Best friends.




What did you all do for the Fourth? How has your week been?
Let's catch up!

Rate My Blog @ Top Mommy Blogs 
(You can vote daily!)

9 comments:

  1. Looks like a lot of fun! I love the beach! I also love your fruit dessert, I have that pinned too, but didn't make it, because there were only 3 of us hanging out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a lot of fun. My older son loves the beach so it was great to spend some time there.

      Delete
  2. Stopping by from redrose-vintage.blogspot.com. I found you on the Find and Follow blog hop! Stop by when ever you'd like :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We camped on the beach up at San Onofre for the 4th! So much fun even thought it was FREEZING! Looks like you all had a blast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How funny! You were just a jaunt away! It was really cold at the strand too but in the afternoons it seemed to warm up. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. lucky you!!! sounds and looks like a fabulous time for everyone!!! our family of 10 rented an RV for the first time 2 yrs ago for 2 wks for our summer vacation....I think that ranks as one of our best vacations ever...
    I am your newest follower..pls follow back f you can.
    happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh vacation looked like so much fun. We just returned from Mackinac City, MI for the 4th. Glad you had a great vacation.

    Irish

    ReplyDelete

I love comments from my friends! If you're a spammer, kindly leave :)