Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Weighing my options: going back to work

It keeps coming up that I maybe should go back to work. Husband's words, not mine. Granted, I'm kind of keen on the idea, especially if it means I have an extra couple seconds to myself every day. Not that I want to escape my kids or anything. You know what I mean. I don't have an official job offer yet, but let's face it, I'm awesome. Okay, not really but the truth is whenever I've set my mind to find a job, I've found a job. And in this town, it helps that I have a leg up with the second job I applied for - it just so happens that Adrian knows someone who happens to be looking for someone for their marketing department. Allegedly.

But then I think about this:


And what I might miss if I go back to work, which makes this decision much harder and about a zillion times more confusing. It's not just Gabriel anymore, not that it would be any easier. I've grown quite attached to being at home with my boys, watching them change and grow. So, I came up with five reasons why I want to go back to work and five reasons I want to stay home. Nice even numbers that basically help me not at all in weighing my options.

Five Reasons Why I Want To Go Back To Work:
  1. I would like to converse with adults regularly. I have no friends, we all know it. It would be nice to have "forced friends," AKA co-workers who are forced to be in the same room with and listen to me all day. 
  2. My brain is turning to mush. I need stimulation. It's very evident when I play the game Cranium and try to spell.
  3. Someone (again, the husband) has mentioned the fact that I can relinquish house cleaning duties if I go back to work. Or at least split them. I'm thinking a housekeeper who would come once a week. BAM.
  4. I genuinely like to work. I like feeling productive, leaving the house every day, putting on pants, you know...the usual stuff.
  5. My brain is supposedly worth $24,000 according to Sallie Mae, lender for my student loans. If you account for the entire amount of tuition, whoa. My brain is worth at least $192,000. Say what? I want to get my money's worth usage of this noggin, ya'll! I didn't spend a pretty penny to sit at home, just saying.
Five Reasons Why I Am Totally Freaked Out About Going Back To Work:
  1. DIYing and blogging and cooking and baking and catching up on all of the good shows is way too much fun. I'm getting a little too used to doing all of those things on a regular basis.
  2. I really like wearing yoga pants. I'm sure I could find some comfy slacks, but really, is there anything that beats yoga pants?
  3. When I worked last year, my life was a whirlwind. Things are already moving in light years, so I have a feeling if I go back to work I'll wake up next week and all of a sudden it will be 2017. 
  4. Having someone else raise my children for 8 of the 12 waking hours of the day seems a lot more daunting when it's not someone I know. I was way too lucky in SD. 
  5. The most important reason - see above photo. And this. And this. And this
Tell me what you think. I need some help (mental help, clearly), some clarity, maybe some chocolate.

3 comments:

  1. Can you just work part time...?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just about to make the same suggestion, work part time. It seems like a pretty perfect combination, best of both worlds scenario.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think it would be worth it realistically to go back part time financially. We would have the money to make it work in terms of childcare as long as I was working full time. Too bad :(

    ReplyDelete

I love comments from my friends! If you're a spammer, kindly leave :)