Monday, May 7, 2012

Homemade Pop tarts


I mentioned last week that I made some homemade pop tarts, and man, were they good! They were so delicious in fact, that they disappeared within about 4 days.

I subscribe to emails from the blog Money Saving Mom and I kept seeing these pop tarts on her weekly menu planning post. I am a pop tart fanatic (for the first 12 weeks of my pregnancy with Jonas, I totally craved the chocolate ones) and so the idea of making my own was quite intriguing...

Here is the recipe (with a few of my little changes) in case you get the sudden urge to try them.

Homemade Pop Tarts
3 1/2c. flour (I used half whole wheat/half white)
1 tsp salt
1 c. melted butter
1 c. plain yogurt (or in my case, 1 c. fat free sour cream - tastes the same!)
Jam/jelly flavor of your choice

Mix the first four ingredients together.Knead dough and roll out on a nice floured surface. Cut dough into the shapes that you would like - I did mine like a regular pop tart, albeit bigger! I used a pizza cutter which made it extremely easy to cut!

Fill half of the rectangles with jelly, but not too much or else they will seep out/explode. Top the jellied side with a non-jellied side, crimp with a fork and bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes. This recipe made about 12 pop tarts, though the original creator of this recipe says it makes 15-20, so you can tell mine were pretty big!

Sit down with a cup of coffee and enjoy.


1 comments:

  1. MmmM - I might have to try this recipe. It looks very good. Thanks so much for sharing. I'm glad you linked up at Romance on a Dime. I hope to see you next Tuesday!!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments from my friends! If you're a spammer, kindly leave :)