Thursday, May 3, 2012

Meal Planning Board

I told you I would get to this, didn't I? One of my favorite things to look at on Pinterest has been meal planning boards. I'm not really sure where my obsession comes from since I am awful at meal planning, though I've been really trying to get better because when I do actually plan ahead, I save myself about a million trips and a lot of back and forth in the store.

After perusing awhile, I stumbled across this and my heart skipped a beat. It was perfect. Beautiful. All of the colors! Ahhh, must have. So I set about gathering supplies. I had several things on hand, but there were a few things that I had to go out and get.

Here's my list:
-Calendar white board - Target, $9.99
-Second white board to hold additional magnets - on hand
-Magnetic roll - Home Depot, $3.99 (My HD had it cheaper than shown on web)
-Photo paper - Dollar Tree, $.99
-Ziplocs
-Permanent markers
-Nails for hanging

Step One: Print out labels using free printables.
Step Two: Cut all printables to size. This gets really boring. Really fast.
Step Three: Separate all colors into their respective groups, place in ziplocs and label.



Step Four: Pull out labels from each category and label foods that you eat often. I also added a separate category for meals that are less generic such as sausage, onion and pepper sandwiches, lasagna, enchilada casserole, and garlic chicken thighs with potatoes. You may want to store your recipes in one place for this, whether it's on your blog, a recipe book or a photographic memory - your choice. I prefer my recipe book from my mom.

Step Five: Attach magnets to the back of each strip of paper. My magnetic strips had stickies on the back and all I had to do was cut whatever sized portion of magnet I wanted from the roll. Very convenient and easy.



Step Six: Organize on your board. Very tough, I know. It's even color coordinated to make it easy!


Step Seven: Hang in desired area! Mine is going in my hallway, where I'm going to try to build a command center-typeish area. I'm really digging this:

via
Step Eight: Meal plan! Okay, I haven't really gotten to this step yet, but I will! I swear! Either way, I'm loving my new meal planning board. I hope it makes it much more convenient for us all to be able to take the reins for meals if need be, because everything will be right in front of our faces.


Hope you enjoyed my little DIY sesh!
(Linked up with Romance on a Dime!)

2 comments:

  1. I've seen this idea too!! I'm definitely working towards this. First, I want to make a list of our favorite meals (I change up my meal plan way too often right now). Thanks for sharing this idea at Romance on a Dime. I'm pinning this!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Betsy! I've been making it a point lately to stop and write down the meals we eat/enjoy cooking most often so I can include them in my recipe book and meal board. I'm hoping this will help me get more organized :) Thanks for pinning!

      Delete

I love comments from my friends! If you're a spammer, kindly leave :)