Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Tell me about it Tuesday #8


In honor of Mother's Day, I figured we'd have a mama-themed question!

Tell me about a special memory you have with your mom and something she did that you would like to use in parenting your own child(ren).


Memory: Right around my due date with Gabriel, we were in the middle of purchasing a condo and of course, it just so happened that we closed escrow while I was in the hospital. To say that the whole process caused us some stress would be saying it lightly. Since we knew we were moving, I had packed up our entire apartment in preparation before Gabriel was born. The night I was released from the hospital we spent our last night in an apartment, and then the next night I spent in a hotel room with my mom and sister while Adrian stayed at the condo working on some final touches. As a new mom, I had no clue what I was doing and was completely flustered when Gabriel woke up at 9:30pm wanting to eat. I was engorged and couldn't get him to nurse. I was crying, he was crying and we were both completely frustrated. My mom, ever the collected one, picked up my sweet baby and told me to go take a warm shower so I could calm down. When I came back out, she had calmed both he and I down enough to where he was able to nurse and drift off to sleep again.

My mom stayed with me from the day I got out of the hospital (Thursday) until Sunday because she had to return to work. She unpacked my entire house, made sure both Adrian and I were fed, cleaned and took over with Gabriel when I needed some rest. I will never forget those first few days of Gabriel's life with her and how grateful I was to have her there. When she left on Sunday, I cried and wondered how I would get through each day without her. She reminded me that I was her daughter and that I would pick it up just as easily as she had 23 years prior.

Parenting lesson: My mom sacrificed so much time and energy making sure we were able to take advantage of every opportunity on the "mountain." We all played at least several activities like t-ball, soccer, ballet, tap dancing, karate, softball, horseback riding, in addition to carting us back and forth to Alpine for CCD multiple times a week and church, shopping trips in town, piano lessons and various other things all across the county. She always made it to our games, which was especially appreciated because my dad was rarely able to get off early - she was always there. I want my kids to know that no matter what their interests, whether they want to go to art classes or fencing, I will always support them. I'll always be watching and helping and doing whatever I need to do to be there.

Tell me about a special memory or lesson from your mama!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments from my friends! If you're a spammer, kindly leave :)