Tuesday, September 11, 2012

So, we're moving? Obsessed: home edition

Well, it appears that we're buying a house. Yup, just like that. I won't bore you with all the details of the set-up, but essentially Adrian has a friend with quite a bit of property down here in the Valley. He's been showing us different places that he owns and I think we finally found it. Adrian's dream is build a house from the ground up and the property we've found will allow just that.

 It's not perfect by any means; this is a fixer property with some fencing that needs to be torn down, trees that need to be planted and a lot of grading that needs to be done. The house that we'll live in is temporary although nice enough to be a permanent home.

 It is two and a half acres with a manufactured home on the property and it's enormous, not what you would expect when you walk in. We will have four bedrooms, two bathrooms, an open kitchen (though not much counter space, hence the kitchen cart below), a walk in closet in the master, dining area and a spacious living area. This would be the perfect place if we decide we want horses someday!

 Whenever we move, which we've done quite a bit, I get really excited to re-decorate. To me, it feels like a clean slate and gives way to fresh, creative ideas in terms of repurposing things I already have and what I want to add. We'll have to do some editing in terms of what we take with us, but I'm so excited to create a new look for our life and home!

 Here are some of the things I'm eyeing (minus the lamp, I like the style which is why I added it but I would NEVER pay $200+ for one!):
For the new house



At first I was hesitant to move forward with this because it's in the ranches on the outskirts of town but you know, I'm kind of excited now. It's only about 7 or 8 minutes from where we live now and the drive to Gabriel school will only be an extra 5. Having grown up in the country without neighbors, I really enjoy the peace and privacy. There are a couple of homes around us but nothing like living in a track home neighborhood, which we do now.

 I know we've been indecisive about what we want and where we'd like to live, but we see this as a strategic move. Right now, we need to be here. This is where Adrian's work is until the foreseeable future. Until that changes, this is where our home needs to be and we need to set up roots here. It also gives us a bargaining chip instead of throwing away cash while renting our lives away so that in five, ten years when we're ready to move home, we'll have a house worth enough to make a down payment on a new home.

Anyway, that's all. We'll have a move in date hopefully by the end of today, but I'm thinking it will be mid-October. I also have to break the news to my current landlord that we won't, in fact, be staying until January like I told her last week. Like any deal, it isn't done until the last paper is signed, which we haven't so there is still the chance it could fall through, though it's doubtful at this point.

Basically this all means I have a shit-ton of work to do in a very short amount of time so if you don't hear a lot from me, don't be shocked.

8 comments:

  1. That sounds perfect! I have alwasy loved my country upbringings and wish I could move back to it at somepoint in mylife. HOWEVER my condition is that I don't have to drive an hour to the grocery store :)

    Can't wait to see pictures

    Sharee'
    www.momFITtingitallin.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um I LOVE that chair! I've been wanting a chair somewhat like that so bad! and yay! Congrats :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on moving!! I grew up in the country and there are some things about it I miss incredibly [mainly noise & smell...I currently live in Manhattan, eek!]. My parents wanted to build a house as well, so when they bought property in the country we waited years for our house to be done [it took forever!!]. That's so lucky you can move onto the property while you build! That will be amazing :) Good luck with everything!!

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  4. How exciting!! I hope everything works out for you! I CANNOT wait to buy our own home, but lord knows when we'll be able to settle somewhere. We still have 2 year left in the military before we could even think about it.

    But I always love that part of moving too-- so nice to purge all your crap, redecorate and start over. Love love love everything you've picked so far! :D Completely understand the chaos of moving ;) but I hope you get back soon! Can't wait to see some photos :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! It sounds like your new home is wonderful - and you have some great ideas for redecorating! :) I love the chair and throw pillows!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A new home is so exciting! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments from my friends! If you're a spammer, kindly leave :)