Thursday, September 27, 2012

Light-ish Pumpkin Pie Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting


I was stressed out yesterday and wanted to bake. Stress-induced baking is always bad. You just know you're going to binge and binge hard. I know, I know...emotional eating is not the way to handle your, er, emotions but whatevs. Since it's fall and since I haven't had anything pumpkin flavored (to eat, I have been bingeing hard on pumpkin drinks), I decided it was okay to make things. Quickly.

I'm not going to admit how many cupcakes I have eaten in the last 24 hours but the good news is that I tried to lighten them up a bit and the "cake" part of it is literally 60 calories. That's it. Then you top it with cream cheese deliciousness and all of a sudden it's 160. OH WELL. That's the price you pay for goodness.


I was inspired by Baking Bites' Impossible Pumpkin Pie Cupcakes but a couple of things immediately stood out to me:

A. I only had one egg and there was no way I was going to the store for another one.
B. I did not have half and half. See A.
C. I reeeeeeally didn't want to throw in 3/4 c. of sugar because hello, I'm already gorging and I'm supposed to be slimming down for a wedding next weekend.

So I proceeded to change up a few things and let me just say...they are HEAVEN. They have a little tiny bit of crunch on top from baking but the middle is still ooey gooey goodness. Basically everything you dream of when you want pumpkin pie but then you throw on some frosting. Because who doesn't like frosting? 


Also, keep in mind these little puppies are dense like pumpkin pie, not spongey aka cupcake. I guess the name is a little misleading but if you're looking for a cakey texture, these are NOT going to for you.

Pumpkin Pie Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting (makes 12 cupcakes)
2/3 c. white, all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
1 15oz. can of pumpkin puree
3 tbsp. Truvia (if you go with real sugar, look up the conversion because it's different)
2 tsp. Splenda Brown Sugar Blend
1 large egg
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 c. 1% low-fat milk

1/2 brick of Neufchatel (similar to cream cheese but lighter)
1/2 stick of butter, softened
1 tsp.ish vanilla extract
1-1.5 c. powdered sugar (taste to liking)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Get out your muffin tins and line them and spray with Pam or whatever nonstick type stuff you have on hand. I know it sounds redundant but these puppies are sticky! They are like pumpkin pie without the crust and I think that had I added some flour or spray to the bottom, they would have separated better. Instead, we just licked the bottom of the liner, HAH! Mix wet ingredients first, using a wisk to get rid of any lumps. Once it appears smooth, add in the dry ingredients and mix well. Pour into cupcake tins and bake for 17-20 minutes. 

While the cupcakes are in the oven, begin making your frosting. Add all ingredients together and beat with a mixer. If you don't have a mixer, make sure that your cream cheese and butter is very soft, otherwise you will have lots of lumps and chunks. I don't know about you, but I don't fancy myself a big bite of butter.


And that's preeeeetty much that! 

1 comments:

  1. Yummo!!! And don't worry about the whole 'lite' issue, if you break them the calories will just leak right out!! ;) (i tell myself this with every choc' bar!!)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments from my friends! If you're a spammer, kindly leave :)