Tuesday, September 18, 2012

5 things about a hospital stay with an 8-month old

Little Jonas was hospitalized last Wednesday with pneumonia and we were finally released on Sunday night. He's fine and healthy and in tip-top (almost) shape, so I wanted to share with you the five things I learned about being confined to a small, shared hospital room with a cooped up, active, psycho-crazy 8-monther.

Poor little boo, with his IV and oxygen and cords of all kinds.
  1. When nurses are bad, they're really bad. Up until the last day, we had amazing nurses. They were quick, precise, friendly and accommodating...and then we had Rebeca. She was flighty, lazy, particular, forgetful, and basically made me want to rip my hair out within three seconds of meeting her. Not to mention, she wore these shoes that made the most obnoxious squeak I've ever heard.

  2. YOU CANNOT KEEP AN 8-MONTH OLD COOPED UP IN A HOSPITAL BED FOR FIVE DAYS. Yes, that needed caps. Bolded. I probably should make that font size 72. Holy whack-a-mole, it was really tough to keep him occupied. And things that kept him occupied one second, he would dismiss the next and we'd have to play a guessing game until I found something to hold his attention. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy...well, maybe my absolute worst.

  3. Keep an extra change of clothes, toothbrush, toothpaste, deodorant and hair brush in your car at all times. For emergencies. Or random hospital stays that you aren't expecting. When we went to the hospital, I thought it would be a few hours, maybe a long night, but definitely not five days. I brought nothing but myself and Jonas, a granola bar, some strawberry puffs and a couple of jars of baby food. Adrian brought me clothes and well...he's a guy. He tried. But he forgot a lot of stuff. And then he did a run to Walmart. Again, he tried. Finally, my mom made a run to buy me some clothes and we were all set. 

  4. Have support. Lots of it. People on-call to relieve you, if only for five minutes so you can pee and...pee. I didn't have many visitors and really, that was fine. But I did need someone there just to talk to because talking to an 8-month old can become a little one sided and people start to think you're crazy. Plus, I wasn't able to leave his side unless someone was there to sit with him because he wouldn't sleep in the crib, only a bed. It made it very difficult to use the restroom, stuff my face with food, or stretch my legs.

  5. Mom knows best. Call it instincts. When I called the on-call nurse line to see if I needed to bring him in, she said maybe, but he could just need some Tylenol and a good suction. But I knew. No way, crazy lady, I'm bringing him in, I said. And I did, and it was pneumonia. Not bronchitis, not a cold. Again, when they were evaluating us to leave, they wanted to stay another night. I'm sorry, but it was to the point where, for his own health and sanity, there was no way we could keep him cooped up in there any longer. He was literally going to crawl out the door. So we brought him home and he sounds a million times better than he did in the hospital. Boom.
Oh, hey guys. I can stand now.
Side note: apparently hospitals make you learn all kinds of crazy new things. He is now crawling on his hands and knees and pulling himself to a standing position against the couch. I guess he would have ended up walking himself out of the room if we hadn't taken him.

7 comments:

  1. oh man.. not to try to "out-do" your story, but I was with my 9 month old in the hospital for 5 weeks last year.. FIVE WEEKS!! (totally wish I could bold that AND make it bigger..) and I completely agree with your list. But I've actually found that packing a "just in case" bag tends to repel dr.'s and hospitals like a mosquito spray. Whenever I would be prepared for a stay, we would inevitably be sent home with a note and prescription. It was when I was least expecting it and had plans for the evening, week, MONTH.. that they always wanted to throw in something crazy like an ambulance ride, airplane ride, or helicopter ride to the bigger hospital (yes.. we've done all 3..). Anyways.. maybe I should stop hoarding up your space and write my own blog about it or something.. :) glad your little guy is feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad your little man is feeling better! I cannot even imagine being cooped up in a hospital that long with an 8 month old. Yikes! Sounds like you still have your sanity!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH man that sounds totally miserable! At least you had some good nurses most of the time? Poor little man! And holy craps on the developmental boom! Way to go! :D

    So glad you both made it out happy, healthy, and sane. Hah!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry to hear this, Jessica! So glad that he is fine now though but it must have been pretty traumatic for all of you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hospitals and little kids SUCK! I had to spend the night with my son in the hospital last year and that was bad enough, I can't even imagine almost a whole week!
    Glad that you both are free now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh what a story. I am so glad he is feeling better. I think one of the most difficult things is not being able to take that uncomfortable sick time away from your own baby. I'm thankful you only had that nurse for one day and not all of them. Whew! Wish you didn't have to have her at all. Glad things are better.

    Irish
    Dedicated2life.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Holy crap! Well first of all I'm just glad everyone made it through in one piece.
    My oldest had pneumonia when he was 18 mos and I was three mos pregnant with twins. He got off with a big injection of penicilln. And breathing treatments. I can not imagine trying to be in a hospital for that long with a baby.
    Big hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments from my friends! If you're a spammer, kindly leave :)