Monday, November 12, 2012

Why I chose to be a crazy person and go for a med-free VBAC


Childbirth is an incredibly intimate experience and no labor will ever be the same. Thank God.

After Gabriel's birth experience, I felt an enormous load of guilt around the choices I made. Sure, I had a baby, of course he was amazing, and thank goodness, he was healthy. But throughout my first pregnancy, I set certain expectations for myself, expected a certain amount of...willpower? I didn't follow my plan and I felt that deviating played a large role in why it ended as it did.

There's no question that I had no idea what to expect, but I am also very competitive. I'm the girl who used to pester her coach after basketball games on the rides home and ask him to go over everything she did wrong so she could improve. 

I felt like this - my child's birth - demanded the utmost dedication. And I knew my body could handle it. So when I went into labor and handled the contractions on my own at home for 12 hours, I thought, oookay, this is nothing. 

But then they kicked into high gear and fear started to creep in. Fear of failure. Fear of pain. Fear that I had no idea what the hell I was getting myself into and so I cried for an epidural. Sat for a gut-wrenching 2 hours with contractions ripping through my body while the needle guy took his sweet ass time to get to my room. (Which, by the way, they checked my dilation as soon as he was done and I was at a NINE)

I had done extensive research as far as pain intervention and the possibilities that these interventions could yield. There's this thing called the cascade of interventions, which basically states that by choosing one "intervention," let's say an induction by pitocin, you are more likely to have other interventions such as pain medication, forceps, or a c-section. Did you know that c-sections have risen from 4.5% of births in 1965 to 32% in 2010? Uhhhbuuuh?

Basically you could consider me another one of those statistics. I won't share the details here because I've vaguely done that already but just know it took a long time for me to come to terms with some of the guilt and negative feelings I had towards the actual birthing experience with Gabriel.

So, at my first appointment with my midwife with my second pregnancy, I explained that I intended to have a natural VBAC. She doubted my abilities, attempted to bring up rupture stats and pain thresholds and myriad reasons why there was a chance this wouldn't work out. I had done my homework, I had answers too. 

I was and still am convinced that had I not already had an epidural with Gabriel, I would not have been giving a c-section. I truly believe that they would have tried other methods of getting the cord unwrapped. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe I'm not, we'll never know, but I knew when I found out I was pregnant for a second time that I would never go through surgery like that again.

I also believe that probably had the first experience not ended in surgery, the chance of me wanting an epidural with my second may have been higher.

When my midwife continued to doubt me, I stopped seeing her at the urging of my doula and found someone who would be supportive of my choice to birth my baby without any pain medication. Surprisingly, it was an MD at Kaiser who really showed belief in me.

You see, I wanted to make my experience the best and safest for ME and for my BABY. Everyone has their own idea of what they are comfortable with and for me, I was not going to give anyone any excuse to cut me open. If it was to happen, I wanted it to be extremely inconvenient. 

Luckily, after about 8 hours of labor and a lot of willpower, I did it. It was empowering.

There are many people who have safely and easily had an epidural and then go on to have a safe and easy delivery. That's awesome. More power to you and I wish my first would have ended that way so my second could have been blissfully pain-less (less pain, not the absence of [=). I don't feel like I'm any better or any worse for having done it without meds. Although I'm not going to lie, I swear I could have moved mountains or cured world hunger or whatever that day. I felt pretty freaking awesome. I felt vindicated.

What was your labor experience like? Was it everything you thought and hoped it would be?

7 comments:

  1. I did have an epidural and then a normal delivery for my second; I had a drug-free delivery for my first and that kind-of freaked me out!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so inspiring Jessica! I hope I have an empowering birth like you did!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had some pain medication and gravol with my first, and it was GREAT! I didn't want drug-free but I didn't want to be drugged out of it either. My second was completely drug free but only because she didn't take her time coming into this world. I had the IV started in my hand, without being hooked to anything when I went from 5-10+ in 1 1/2 contractions.

    I started asking for pain medication the next for baby number 3. LOL, I'm still not pregnant with number 3 but I figure it can't be too early to ask.

    That's just me though, I want the pain dulled and I don't think it makes it any less perfect for me and my little ones. <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. My 3 boys were each inductions with medications, all super fast delivers. Painful but tolerable. My 2 girls however, each came on their own SO fast that we barely made it to the hospital. The last, from first contraction to birth, was about an hour-and we live 30 minutes away from the hospital! I feel pretty awesome to have done it naturally, but would I do it again by choice? NO WAY. The pain sent me out of my mind (I bit my husband!) and I felt totally out of control. The key to having a positive birth isn't meds or no meds, it's staying true to what YOU want, no matter what that choice is. So glad you got the experience you wanted! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for posting this! I will be saving it until it is time to have my second child. My first birth experience was much like your first experience and I hope my second will have a the same outcome as yours!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it! I am so proud of you for standing up for yourself and getting with the right care provider, they can change everything! That picture is beautiful, so powerful, I think you did move mountains that day! I really appreciate your take on natural childbirth, I think people get so righteous about it either way- and it's like, hey, not better or worse, not one or the other. Just what is right for you, and you found it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it's great that you were adamant about having (or at least attempting) to have the birthing experience that YOU want. And having the balls to go to another OB, midwife, what-ever.

    I had epidurals with both boys. The first was more for my Mom and husband than for me, I wasn't even really uncomfortable, but I was dilating quickly and the window was closing quickly, and neither of them were much in the area of "support", my husband nearly feinted and my Mom cried the entire time haha Luckily I did have one though, I experienced a 3rd degree lateral tear, which is a fancy way of saying I tore up into my woo-haa.

    Then with my second, my husband had to drop my son off over an hour away at a friend's house (we're military and didn't have any other options at the time) and of course he got stuck in traffic, so there I was laboring for 3.5 of the 5 hours I was in labor, alone. So my nurse kind of talked me into an epidural as a means to calm me, and it worked. Not having to deal with that pain alone, just you and a stranger, brought my head back in the game, and I was instantly at peace with the whole ordeal.

    That being said, while both of my deliveries were completely pain-less, as in I didn't feel even the contractions... I didn't like being stuck in the hospital bed for 8-11 hours waiting for the drugs to wear off. And with my second son being rushed into the NICU, and me not being able to get up and go see him, it was hell.

    I might not have one this time around... My Mom had six kids without one, my sister had my niece without one... I think it will all depend on the circumstances and what unfolds that day.

    I don't go in with a plan, really. But I do admire people who have such strong convictions towards their labor experience. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments from my friends! If you're a spammer, kindly leave :)