Thursday, June 6, 2013

Tourist in our Town: Company Pub and Kitchen, Poway

This is the second of hopefully many posts in a series called "Tourist In Our Town." I will be chronicling some of the tastier food, places and experiences we come across as we happily re-acquaint ourselves with San Diego. If you have a suggestion for a place we need to visit, please send me an email!



Sometimes, and especially on Friday nights, we get lazy. Is it just me or does eating out on a Friday feel awesome? After a long week, who really wants to stand in the kitchen and slave away? I love to cook, but have a hard time as it is getting myself into the kitchen...

The point is, a few Fridays ago, we were really lazy and we were really craving some fried food so we had a little Google sesh and happened upon a place in Poway that apparently served a mean fish and chips plate. I don't care for fish unless it's sushi, but I'm always game to try a new place, moreso even if it's close by. We packed up the kids and headed on over...

"It's all about the company you keep..."



There's a lot to like about Company Pub and Kitchen. It's kind of nondescript, in the corner of a strip mall but the atmosphere is much more. The gastropub features a pretty robust menu with quite a bit of British influence and seeing as how the owners are English, it completely makes sense and works.

We were earlybirds on a Friday night and the patio was completely empty so, seeing as we have two crazy, occasionally obnoxious little ones, we opted to sit out there. They loved playing around and we loved the food, so this is definitely a place that we will return to very soon.


Food and bevvies
The food was pretty top notch. Adrian went for the fish and chips, just like he intended to and he was definitely not left disappointed. When I asked him to review them for me he said, "good," so in guy-speak (and for someone who is pretty damn picky about his food) I'd say that means it was tasty. Mine, however, oooooh mama. Mine was good. I debated for a good 10 minutes on whether I should go for the Bangers and Mash, a good 'ol cheeseburger or the steak ciabatta and well, the ribeye won out. Sure as heck didn't disappoint - juicy ribeye, carmelized onions, horseradish cheese and a tasty ciabatta roll...As far as drinks go, they have a full bar and a Snakebite was on their happy hour menu. 

'Nough said.


Atmosphere/Decor
I really dig the decor in this restaurant. I'm all about the upcycled, industrial, shabby chic look and that is what you'll find here. Rustic looking tables, upcycled windows serve as frames for menus at the front, industrial piping and light bulbs that bring the nostalgia of another century. To be honest, we didn't spend a lot of time inside - just passing through for the bathroom - and it seemed a bit dark and dreary in there but as a pub, that's not really surprising. I hear that during the week, they hold different evening specialties such as Trivia Night and discounted meals if you are local. 


Service
This one is important to us. It dictates generally whether we will return again and I'm happy to say that we will actually be able to go back. I wouldn't say the waitress was overly friendly but she was knowledgeable, kind and not too in-your-face like some can be. I could see in a packed and busy house how she might come off kind of short, but we liked her. She got the kids their food ASAP - which btw, I love when waitresses do that - made sure they had crayons and coloring pages, and didn't make a fuss when they started sticking their hands in the trickly fountain. Our drinks came out quickly, the food was fast and accurately prepared and well, she recommended good food when I was at such a crossroads in choices...

Price
Very reasonable, very important. For 4 full meals, drinks and brews all around and a great vibe, we walked away paying about 50 bucks with tip. I'll take it!

I could certainly see us returning and fast...

Where's your favorite Friday night hang? Where do you go for a beer and a good meal?

1 comments:

  1. I think I'm changing the name of your series to "Places Jess is taking Melia when she comes to visit." Just sayin'.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments from my friends! If you're a spammer, kindly leave :)