Monday, February 11, 2013

Cereal Box 3-D Letter


I have a tutorial for you guys! I'm pretty sure this is one of my favorite DIY's that I've done recently. I know I'm not the only one who has been seeing the 3-D letter tutorials floating around Pinterest and at one point, I actually saw something with a cereal box!

But of course, I forgot to pin it and couldn't find it again so I just went for it with my own idea.

Here's what you'll need:

-Cereal box
-Paper cups (I used the little disposable coffee cups)
-Packing/duct tape
-Mod Podge
-Scrapbook paper
-Extra plain paper for padding (could use newspaper or any scraps!)


All of the materials that I used, I already had on hand which makes it the best kind of DIY! No spending necessary...

Yes, we love Honey Nut Cheerios! So after we finished the box, I pulled out my trusty old scissors and chopped that box in half.


I used as much of the box space as possible to draw my letter A (the first letter of our last name!) so that it would be as big as possible. I went ahead and copied the same letter onto the other large side of the cereal box.

Next, I cut the cups down until they were the width that I wanted for my letter. I ended up using four cups, which I taped to either side of the cereal box so that the two letter cut outs were now on either side.

I then used tape to line the edges of the letters as shown below - I lined a little, then stuffed a little paper inside to help keep its shape - back and forth, line and stuff as you can see in the next two photos.



Once you have completed the entire outline of the letter, you get to start the fun part - the Mod Podge. I decided to rip my scrapbook paper into strips and then mod podge it to the letter, but you could make it one color.

Finally, let dry and hang!

I love the way it came out. The mod podge made it hard and firm just like one of the cardboard letters you would find at Hobby Lobby or something but it was FREE! Weee love freeee!


Let me know if you try it and how it came out!

3 comments:

  1. how talented you are - I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As if Pinterest landed in my google reader. :) Love the tutorial! I am participating in a Blogger Tag Game. Would love to get to know you better if you want to participate.
    http://hayshousemisadventures.blogspot.com/2013/02/blogger-tag-game.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pore skills nothing else. It looks perfect with a great finishing. Superb job!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments from my friends! If you're a spammer, kindly leave :)