Saturday, December 10, 2011

2008 - Present

Our lives have changed pretty drastically over the last few years.We've spent time with in-laws and families, exchanged traditions and experienced the highs and lows of the holiday season. Together we've spent Christmases overflowing with gifts and still others spent clutching the few pennies we had and making promises for next year.

When I look back on the few years we've spent together, the common thread I see is that whether our pockets are overflowing or completely empty, there is always enough. Enough food on the table. Enough time to make each other and our families feel special. Enough love to go around.

Our first year together was spent in Ventura/Camarillo with Adrian's family, then to Big Bear for Christmas Day with mine. We were young, unmarried, pregnant, broke, anxious yet hopeful. Our parents were nervous for us and what we had gotten ourselves into...

Christmas 2008 - Ventura, CA

This picture was taken three days before our wedding. We decided on the 20th to get married and somehow, in 7 days, a wedding materialized (thanks almost entirely to my parents who are amazing) and I married my frustrating, stubborn, lovable best friend. We had moved to San Diego that November because Adrian was laid off so we literally had nothing. But, as Adrian likes to say, money isn't real. Love is. Family is. And we officially, legally became a family that year.

Christmas 2009 - Alpine, CA

Last year was exciting because Gabriel was old enough to figure out how to open presents. We were actually able to spoil him, each other, our parents and my siblings; for a couple who hadn't had the pleasure of spoiling their families, it really, truly was the season of giving. It was so nice to, in a small way, bring joy to our loved ones. (I personally think our faces were a little brighter this year)

Christmas 2010 - Alpine, CA

This year, things are so different and yet reminiscent of the same feelings I had in 2008. We're a little older and wiser, settled in our role as parents and soon will be celebrating our second wedding anniversary. Any day starting after Christmas, our baby could arrive, leaving me with similar feelings...anxious, hopeful, excited, scared... 

We'll be spending this year at Adrian's parents' house, for both Christmas Eve and Day. As much as I'm sad to miss out on the festivities that are always so much fun at Nana's, I'm looking forward to Gabriel being able to spend some much needed time with his cousins on that side of the family. Plus, I'm not giving up too much because we're going to hopefully make it home in time to have a Christmas dinner at my parents' house. All in all, it's shaping up to be quite a lovely holiday!

Christmas 2011 - El Centro, CA



0 comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments from my friends! If you're a spammer, kindly leave :)