Tuesday, December 4, 2012

What to expect when you're...

As I type this, I literally feel like I need to prop my eyelids open just to keep from falling asleep. I haven't been able to stay up past 8:00 pm since like...two or three weeks?

Attempting to create something for dinner that doesn't entail pouring milk and cereal into a bowl is excruciating. My body aches like I just ran a marathon (not that I even know what that is like).

I can't even talk about my boobs. The thought sends me into painful shivers. I can't wear a bra, yet letting it hang all freeballs is just...too...much. My only saving grace for this pain is to lay flat on my back with them just plopped up. Nice visual, right?

I guess I should just go ahead and say it. 

I'm weaning.

As we approach Jonas' first birthday in a few short weeks, we've reduced some of his daytime nursing sessions so that he is nursing longer in the morning and the evening, but not during the day.

At first I thought it was from being sick last week but no. This is ridiculous. I've been googling scary shit all night that is telling me I may or may not have diabetes or heart disease or a million other awful things but then it sort of dawned on me.

I AM NOT PREGNANT. It is 99.999999999999999999999% impossible. At least I think so. The week before being sick I felt normal. I started weaning about a week or two ago and it just so happens that this is the time frame in which I've been feeling fatigued. 

Exhausted. 
via

Seriously, neither of those words cover it.

After my google sesh, I realized that this is like the thing nobody talks about. I didn't experience it at all with Gabriel. There are like 3 articles on fatigue and achiness and yet 234,629,094 on mood swings and engorgement.

I'm convinced that the boob pain may be mastitis because this is unlike any plugging of ducts I've ever had. And I've had a lot. 

So tell me, if you're early preg and feeling fatigued or weaning and feeling fatigued or just plain feeling fatigued, what the heck do you do to make it through the day? Right now I'm relying on spaghetti. And cereal. And ordering pizza. All of which do not happen to be in my preferred wheel of healthy eating. 

And hey, if you experienced this while weaning, tell me! I'm feeling like a freak and my husband is convinced I need to exercise...which may or may not be true.

9 comments:

  1. Hahaha good one, Jess! Weaning sucks, I agree. I do it super gradually!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have no idea because I breastfed my son for two years. By that time, he wasn't nursing a lot and I didn't feel any pain or difference. I would just try to do it very very gradually. I've heard putting cabbage leaves in your bra (weird, I know) helps dry you up. Take some Tylenol, get some rest, and hope the pain leaves soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm slowly...v-e-r-y slowly weaning my daughter, and it's kinda like baby-led weaning actually. So I'm not experiencing the pain your describing...yet. BUT I did have mastitis a few months ago and now THAT was horrible. It was only in one breast but the pain was really bad. Nothing I did helped. I caught it early and my doctor put me on antibiotics to help it go away {since it's a bacterial infection} and after only a day of taking the meds the swelling/redness/pain/hardness was gone. And yes, right before I went on the meds for it, I was very fatigued. Almost like I was going to pass out. So you might have mastitis--I would make an appointment and get it checked out, just in case that's what it is and so it doesn't get any worse. I hope you feel better soon, mama!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I havent experienced this but I'll bookmark it just so I can come back to it whenever I wean my first born! (expecting on January 2013!)

    Followed your blog for more momma advices and tips!
    ♥,
    Shari

    ReplyDelete
  5. really sorry you're feeling so bad! Unfortunately, no real advice to give but do get checked, just to make sure!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I took a really long time to wean both my kids. And by the time it was done for both of them, I was 6 weeks pregnant with the next kid (yes, 6 for both...weird but true). So fatigue happened, but I have no clue if it was from weaning or first trimester or both. Point is I deal by ordering takeout or eating cereal, and curling up in bed with a blanket and a book at any given point in the day. You know, pretending my life is similar to that of a college student.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hope you're feeling better! Go over to marathon mom blog, if it gets worse. She describes, in 6-7 parts how sickshe really was, when she originally thought she just had mastitis. Thinking about you! Praying you feel better...

    ReplyDelete
  8. At some point you got to forget the past and recover soon, it will definitely helps to go on with life.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Breastfeeding my son 2 years because I have no idea. Treat a lot of people think of him, when he can feel any pain or difference would've. I'm just very, very nonscheduled would try. I used to dry (weird, I know) to put cabbage leaves in the bra heard. To get some rest and Tylenol, pain, hope to leave soon!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments from my friends! If you're a spammer, kindly leave :)