Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Fall Wreath and Mantle

Yet again, Pinterest has inspired some craftiness in me! I decided that I wanted to have a cute fall mantle and I wanted to make a wreath, both of which I've accomplished for very little money.

I purchased the items below plus some florist's wire for about $15, not bad when the going price for a store-bought wreath is over $20.

It was pretty simple actually - I used wire cutters to snip the flowers off  with enough stem to poke into the branches, placed them where I wanted, and voila! That was it!


Here's the finished product:

It's a little bottom heavy but that's because I couldn't decide in what direction it would hang or where I would tie the bow...I could re-do it but I think it looks fine as-is. I think I might add a bigger bow at the top next time, it seems a little small compared to the flowers, but since it was my first time tying a bow like that I wasn't sure how much ribbon I'd need.


Here's my fall mantle so far...it's a work in progress though! I still need to add some vertical pieces in the background because it's a little too low. Either way, it's make my house feel a little more home-y :)


Watch out for more projects coming up! Adrian has challenged me to sew at least Gabriel, but preferably all of us, Halloween costumes. Since I don't even know how to thread my new sewing machine this could get very interesting...

4 comments:

  1. So exciting Jess! I can't wait to have my own place to decorate, who knows I might need to follow your blog to get some ideas. :) Can't wait to see the Halloween costumes, any ideas on the actual costumes? Going to make a family theme?

    xoxo Les

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loove the wreath. Sending you $20 so you can make me one ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Les - Gabriel has decided that he wants to be an elephant so he got a face mask that has a trunk and I'll be making his ears and outfit. For Adrian and I, we have a costume party so we're going as a pregnant housewife and milkman. I'm going to try to make an apron for myself and possibly a dress, depending on how ambitious I'm feeling. When are you moving??

    Erin - you betcha! You can have it for less since I still have some leftovers ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have so much to tell you!! Life is amazing and I could be moving as early as Dec. 26th (not sure) I will be able to publicize as soon as I get an acceptance letter to school. Keep your fingers crossed :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments from my friends! If you're a spammer, kindly leave :)