Friday, September 11, 2015

The First Days of School


I'm not going to lie, I've always laughed at the women who say that they miss their kids when the go to school. I know that sounds mean, but let's be honest here...sometimes you need a break. Especially as a work-from-home mama, I need a little quiet time to work, make phone calls, organize myself, etc.

This year, however, I got it. Since we have moved, the kids and I have spent the weekdays exploring, hiking, going to parks and playing outside. We have tried to soak up the summer and not let sunny moments pass us by because, well, we might not have many more of them before winter comes (Yes, winter is coming, as Adrian likes to say). Slowing down on our weekday fun time was not as appealing this time around, so I was prepared to miss them.

What I wasn't prepared for is the worry that comes with transitioning your kiddos to a new school. Jonas, well, I wasn't really worried about him because he is cool with flying solo but Gabriel, he gets anxious like I do. He cried in the morning when I told him it was time to hop out of the car to walk him to school. And when I left him at his desk and kissed him goodbye, his sad little face and the scared wave he gave me literally broke my heart.

When I picked him up from school, I asked him how his day was -- he said, "Terrible." I immediately said, "Why, what happened, are you okay? What's going on?"

He laughed and said, "I'm just kidding mom, it was great." LITTLE STINKER. So now we are all good and he rides the bus to school everyday and loves it, hah!


The first day that Gabriel was gone and it was just Jonas and I, we really missed him. And the second day. Basically the whole first week. We were both depressed and kept saying, "I wish Gabriel was here!" It got better the second week, especially with Jonas going back to school for his first day.

Now Jonas, oh little Jonas. He cracks me up. He would cry every day last year when I would drop him off, it was awful. This year, we showed up to class, did a little activity with the kids and he said, "Okay mom, are you leaving now?'

"Are you ready for me to leave, babe?"

"Yeah, bye mom."

"Well, okay then, I guess it's time for me to leave!" And I hugged him, kissed him and walked out the door. Easy peasy!


The second time I dropped him off, he said to me, "Mom, it's okay. It's just a short time. I'll see you in a bit." He is so funny. He finally wants that independence, which is awesome.

This year, for the first time, I asked them a couple of questions and their responses were hilarious.



Okay but seriously. Jonas' response to what he wants to be when he grows up just about slayed me. So sweet.


Anyway, there were very little tears on my part (okay, I shed a few on Gabriel's first day), but overall, it has been a smooth transition! These kids love their new schools and have told me that they actually like them better than the ones they attended in San Diego. I'll consider that a win in my book.

1 comments:

  1. I love this, but makes my heart miss them so! Great job mom and dad! Way to go BOYS!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments from my friends! If you're a spammer, kindly leave :)